EVERYTHING, IN EXCESS, AND THEN MORE

 Here it is.

As of now my eyes are open, to how the lifestyle Ive been shaping for the family; fully-clothed, well-fed and chronically entertained; is actually slowly destroying their our sense of empathy and compassion for others.

1- I need to stop babying them. If they can walk, they walk. If they are tired, we rest. If today is a school day, today is a school day. If they fall, they pick themselves up. If they need something, they take it themselves. They fear something, they face it. They dont like whats on the menu, they dont eat. They want something that they dont need, when they are big enough to buy them they are welcome to.

I used to think that by babying them I can make these kids see how I've been giving so that they can be giving themselves. I was wrong. Ive made these kids think that life is all about them and no one else matter. Thats not how reality works does it.

2- When they make a mistake, they face the consequences that come with it. If it means I have to instill some form of punishment to help them understand, then I will need to do so. 

Ofcourse this does not mean I can abuse, humiliate or disrespect them. 

3- Allow as much pain and hurt as I would allow happiness in their lives.  If they cry, they cry. If they feel pain, then they feel pain. If they are angry, then they are angry. This is how the world is - it consists of both wins and losses. And thats how everybody experiences life. Protecting them now doesnt help them to see the world as it is, it just denies them the pleasure of living to their full potential. 

4- I have to let them resolve their problems themselves. If they fight, and hurt each other in the process, then so be it. This is a tough one for me. Here's the mentality behind this: my job is to make them develop into a preson who can resolve conflicts, not to ensure they dont experience any hurt or pain. Reality is that they will, and they need to, in order to learn to better themselves.

5- Buy only what I need, eat only what I need, use only whats needed. I have to stop buying things I dont need, eating excessively, and being online when I dont need to be. Anything in excess is not mine to begin with. 

I got to be the one to know my limit, if I want my kids to learn to know theirs. 

This is it. A new beginning. A new plan. A new mindset.

Comments

Popular Posts